Man Sentenced to 15 Years in Fatal Penrose Shooting
May 7, 2026

ST. LOUIS, MO  (May 7, 2026) — Carlos Coleman Jr., 19, was sentenced on Thursday to 15 years in the Missouri Department of Corrections after being convicted of voluntary manslaughter and armed criminal action in the shooting death of 19-year-old Jerome Baker. The shooting occurred on May 7, 2024, in the 4800 block of Farlin Avenue in the City’s Penrose neighborhood.


On May 11, 2024, at approximately 5:00 a.m., St. Louis Metropolitan Police officers responded to a shooting call in the 4800 block of Farlin and found Baker lying in front of a residence suffering from multiple gunshot wounds. Baker had been shot four times, including once in the neck, twice in the torso, and once in the arm. He died from his injuries.


Investigators recovered numerous spent shell casings throughout the block and found an item near Baker that contained Coleman’s DNA. Cell phone location data placed Coleman at the scene at the time of the shooting. A nearby porch surveillance camera captured the shooting from a distance and showed Coleman running through an alley behind the residence immediately afterward. Multiple witnesses identified Coleman after reviewing the surveillance footage. Coleman was later charged in connection with the homicide and certified to stand trial as an adult.


“This conviction is the result of a complex investigation conducted by the St. Louis Metropolitan Police Department with assistance from the FBI. The SLMPD’s and FBI’s outstanding investigative work enabled the prosecution team to overcome challenging witness and evidence issues,” said Circuit Attorney Gabe Gore. “No sentence can reverse the loss of Jerome Baker’s life. But this sentence improves public safety by removing a violent offender from the streets, and we hope this brings a measure of solace to Mr. Baker’s family.”


Violent Crime Unit Deputy Supervisor Grant Simon, Assistant Circuit Attorneys Nicholas Hirst, and Andrew Bennett prosecuted the case.


The defendant’s case number is 2522-CR01192.



For Immediate Release

For more information contact:

Amber Raub

Public Information Officer

St. Louis Circuit Attorney's Office

rauba@stlouiscao.org

314-589-6233 (office)

314-312-9912 (cell)

More News

Seal for the Circuit Attorney, State of Missouri, City of St. Louis, with eagle emblem and “1821” text
August 7, 2026
ST. LOUIS, MO (August 7, 2026) — Jonathon Jones, 21, was sentenced Friday to life in prison for the second-degree murder of 19-year-old Jadun Byrd, who was shot multiple times and killed in The Ville neighborhood in March 2022. On March 2, 2022, St. Louis Metropolitan Police Department homicide detectives responded to a reported shooting and found Byrd deceased from multiple gunshot wounds. Byrd had taken a Lyft to meet his mother at work and was on FaceTime with her when he was murdered. His mother heard the gunshots and watched her son fall to the ground during the call. An eyewitness told investigators that a white Dodge Journey drove toward Byrd as he walked through a parking lot. The vehicle's driver's side windows lowered, and multiple shots were fired at Byrd. During the investigation, surveillance footage showed the Dodge Journey circling the area where Byrd lived and following the Lyft carrying him. Additional surveillance footage showed Jones entering the Dodge Journey approximately 30 minutes before the murder and returning in the vehicle approximately 30 minutes afterward. Investigators recovered Jones' fingerprints from the driver's side of the Dodge Journey. Multiple firearms were recovered while executing a search warrant at a residence where Jones was located. Ballistic testing linked one of those firearms to evidence recovered from the murder scene. Investigators also determined Jones' phone was placed in airplane mode shortly before the murder and taken out of airplane mode shortly afterward. Two other people who were inside the Dodge Journey during the shooting identified Jones as the driver and told investigators that Jones was one of the individuals who shot at Byrd. Jones was 17 years old when he murdered Byrd. Because Jones was a juvenile at the time of the crime, the case initially proceeded through juvenile court. On July 8, 2024, Jones was certified to stand trial as an adult. At the time of Byrd's murder, Jones had escaped from the Juvenile Detention Center, where he was being held in connection with a separate homicide case. Jones has since been convicted of second-degree murder in that case. “Jadun Byrd was 19 years old and had his entire life ahead of him. His family will carry the pain of losing him for the rest of their lives. Our office will aggressively prosecute those who commit violent crimes and continue working to protect the people of St. Louis from those who endanger our communities,” said Circuit Attorney Gabe Gore. Deputy Violent Crime Unit Supervisor Grant Simon and Assistant Circuit Attorney Ryan Dowd prosecuted the case on behalf of the St. Louis Circuit Attorney’s Office. The defendant’s case number is 2422-CR01956-01 .
Seal of the Circuit Attorney, State of Missouri, City of St. Louis, with eagle emblem and
August 4, 2026
The St. Louis Circuit Attorney's Office is now accepting applications for the Fall 2026 Citizens Academy, a six-week program on the criminal justice system.
Seal of the Circuit Attorney, City of St. Louis, Missouri, in black and white
July 16, 2026
Azavian Royal was sentenced to 30 years in prison for a fatal 2023 shooting and robbery at a high school homecoming after-party in St. Louis.